On Friday, November 9th, the Michael G. DeGroote Institute for Infectious Disease Research celebrated their 8th Annual IIDR Trainee Day – a day dedicated to recognizing the innovative work being done by the Institute’s students and postdoctoral fellows.
The theme for this year was “Expanding the Frontiers of Infectious Disease Research” – a topic that was well represented by this year’s selected keynote speaker, Dr. Deb Hung. Dr Hung is a world-renowned physician-scientist and Co-Director of the Infectious Disease and Microbiome Program at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard. Her presentation, entitled “Chemical-Biological Approaches to Infectious Disease Research”, was highly engaging and extremely well-received by our 200 plus attendees this year
Throughout the day, IIDR trainees expressed their passion for science and commitment to research through 91 outstanding poster presentations and 11 engaging student talks. Special guests included the family of Michael Kamin Hart, a promising second-year Master’s student who left an indelible mark on the institute.
The exciting day was followed by an Awards Ceremony and Social at the McMaster University Faculty Club.
The IIDR would like to thank its generous sponsors, Trainee Day ambassadors, and dedicated attendees for making this year’s event an incredible success.
8th Annual IIDR Trainee Research Day Awards
Congratulations to this year’s IIDR Trainee Day Award recipients!
Michael Kamin Hart Memorial Scholarship
Awarded to four IIDR members who demonstrate academic excellence, leadership and the same enthusiasm for science that was evident in Michael Kamin Hart.
- Undergraduate – Yu Fan (Peter) Zeng, Dr. Matthew Miller’s Lab
- MSc – Kara Tsang, Dr. Andrew McArthur’s Lab
- PhD – Puja Bagri, Dr. Charu Kaushic’s Lab
- Staff – Hanjeong Harvey, Dr. Lori Burrows’ Lab
Mildred Gulliver Scholarships in Infectious Diseases
Awarded to an IIDR graduate student and Postdoctoral Fellow in recognition of their meaningful contributions to anti-infective research. The Postdoctoral Fellow Scholarship recipient is chosen beforehand by the IIDR Executive Committee and invited to present their research at Trainee Day. The Graduate Scholarship recipient is selected by the Committee from the group of students presenting their research at this year’s event.
- PDF – Dr. Dustin Little, Dr. Brian Coombes’ Lab
- Graduate – Elizabeth Culp, Dr. Gerry Wright’s Lab
The Gerard Wright Postdoctoral Award in Infection Research
Presented to an IIDR Postdoctoral or MD Fellow who has made a significant contribution to infectious disease research over the past year.
- PDF – Dr. Wael Elhenawy, Dr. Brian Coombes’ Lab
Fisher Scientific Undergraduate Poster Award
Awarded to the undergraduate student who delivered the best poster presentation at this year’s Trainee Day.
- Winner: Sarah Hordienko, Dr. Brian Coombes’ Lab
- Runner-Up: Ryan Chow, Dr. Charu Kaushic’s Lab
IIDR Awards of Excellence
Awarded to students at the MSc and PhD level, and a postdoctoral fellow who presented the best poster during this year’s Trainee Day.
- MSc Winner: Bhavya Singh, Dr. Jennifer Stearns’ Lab
- MSc Runner-Up: Maryam Vaseghi-Shanjani. Dr. Zhou Xing’s Lab
- PhD Winner: Kristina Klobucar, Dr. Eric Brown’s Lab
- PhD Runner-Up: Himeshi Samarasinghe, Dr. Jianping Xu’s Lab
- PDF Winner: Grace Yim, Dr. Gerry Wright’s Lab
- PDF Runner-Up: Allison Kennedy, Dr. Dawn Bowdish’s Lab