Thursday, October 26th – The Michael G. DeGroote Institute for Infectious Disease Research celebrated their 7th Annual IIDR Trainee Day yesterday – a day dedicated to recognizing the innovative work being done by the Institute’s students and postdoctoral fellows.
The theme for this year was “Resistance is futile: advancement of infectious disease research”. The topic was well represented by the event’s selected keynote speaker, University Distinguished Professor and Director of the Antimicrobial Discovery Centre Dr. Kim Lewis, who delivered a remarkable presentation regarding his current research in the areas of antibiotic discovery and antimicrobial resistance.
Throughout the day, IIDR trainees expressed their passion for science and commitment to research through an outstanding number of poster presentations and engaging student talks. Special guests included the parents of the late Michael Kamin Hart, a promising second year Master’s student who left an indelible mark on the institute.
The Michael Kamin Hart Memorial Scholarship – the IIDR’s most prestigious trainee award – was presented to four students at an undergraduate, Masters, PhD, and staff level who demonstrate academic excellence, leadership, and the same enthusiasm for science that was evident in Michael. Since this award’s establishment in 2012, the generous support of Michael’s family and friends has enabled the endowment to grow to over an astonishing $150,000.
The Michael G. DeGroote Institute for Infectious Disease Research (IIDR) would like to thank its generous sponsors and Trainee Day ambassadors for helping make this year’s event a success.
7th Annual IIDR Trainee Research Day Awards
Congratulations to this year’s IIDR Trainee Day Award recipients.
Michael Kamin Hart Memorial Scholarship
Awarded to four students at an undergraduate, MSc, PhD, and staff level who demonstrate academic excellence, leadership and the same enthusiasm for science that was evident in Michael Kamin Hart.
– Undergraduate – Daniel Celeste, Dr. Matthew Miller’s Lab
– MSc – Allison Guitor, Dr. Gerry Wright’s Lab
– PhD – Stephanie Jones, Dr. Marie Elliot’s Lab
– Staff – Laura Rossi, Dr. Mike Surette’s Lab
Mildred Gulliver Scholarships in Infectious Disease Research
Awarded to one graduate student and one postdoctoral fellow, recognized for their significant contribution to anti-infective research and selected from the group of trainees presenting a talk at this year’s Trainee Day.
– PDF – Wael Elhenawy, Dr. Brian Coombes’ Lab
– PhD – Patrick Schenck, Dr. Mike Surette’s Lab
IIDR Awards of Excellence
Awarded to students at the MSc and PhD level, and a postdoctoral fellow who presented the best poster during this year’s Trainee Day.
– PDF – Jocelyn Wessels, Dr. Charu Kaushic’s Lab
– PDF (Honourable Mention) – Sara Kilmury, Dr. Lori Burrows Lab
– PhD – Sara El Zahed, Dr. Eric Brown’s Lab
– PhD (Honourable Mention) *Tie – Craig MacNair, Dr. Eric Brown’s Lab & Puja Bagri, Dr Charu Kaushic’s Lab
– MSc – Haley Zubyk, Dr. Gerry Wright’s Lab
– MSc (Honourable Mention) – Maryam Vaseghi-Shanjani, Dr. Zhou Xing’s Lab
Fisher Scientific Undergraduate Poster Award
Awarded to the undergraduate student who delivered the best poster presentation at this year’s Trainee Day.
– Christine Chow, Dr. Mike Surette’s Lab