Latest News News

Miller Lab Raises Funds & Awareness for This Year’s WALK for ALS

IIDR trainee’s serve delicious baked goods, tea, and coffee in support of this year’s WALK for ALS fundraising event.

IIDR trainees of Dr. Matthew Miller‘s research team raised over $250 last Thursday at their Bake Sale, in support of this year’s WALK for ALS fundraising event – the largest volunteer-led fundraiser for ALS across the country.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, is a devastating neurodegenerative disorder that causes the death of neurons that control voluntary muscles. The result is gradual paralysis as the muscles of the body break down, along with a loss in the ability to walk, speak, eat, and eventually breathe. In over 90% of ALS cases, the cause remains unknown. Researchers within the Miller lab are actively investigating the relationship between infection, inflammation, and neurodegeneration in people with ALS and other neurodegenerative disorders.

With the total funds raised at this year’s WALK for ALS, 40% will go towards supporting ongoing ALS research across the country. The remaining 60% will go directly towards services for people with ALS and their families.

Post-doctoral Fellow Kimberly Braz Gomes prepares (and enjoys!) homemade brownies.

To find out more about the fundraiser and how you can participate, visit the Walk for ALS website here. Hamilton’s WALK for ALS will take place at the Hamilton Bay Front Park on Saturday, June 16th from 8:30 am to 10:00 am.  


Christy Groves